Saturday, February 22, 2014

An intro of sorts

During my first teaching job, I had a generous budget that I could share with my co-teacher. I was absolutely clueless as to what I needed (and was too overwhelmed to figure out what I even wanted) but I can remember ordering a colorful poster with the James M. Barrie quote,

"If you cannot teach me to fly, teach me to sing." 

To this day, it's my go-to quote. Birds have even become my classroom theme. "Why do you have birds everywhere?" the kids ask me. "They are animals who sing and that's what we do in the music room," I tell them. We sing, we make music and we have a good time doing it.

I'll admit...I haven't quite decided the direction of this blog. I am a K-5 Kodály-trained teacher for one of the greatest districts in the world, so I would love to discuss folk dancing, solfa and rhythm lessons, and music teaching strategies in general. I love all things technology and incorporating them in my classroom. I have a great passion for teaching technology to others so I'm sure some of that will be here. At the same time, I love crafting and making fun manipulatives for my students so I'm sure I'll share those too. Whatever goes, I guess!

No comments :

Post a Comment