Monday, April 14, 2014

STOMP

Have you ever thought about making music with brooms? Or with matchboxes? Or maybe a plastic bag? Did you ever look at a person walking on crutches and wonder what that crutch might sound like if you beat on it with drumsticks?

The musical geniuses of STOMP sure have.

My husband, son and I got a chance to see the show at the beautiful Bass Performance Hall in Fort Worth yesterday afternoon.


I feel so fortunate to live in an area where incredible venues like this are nearby. Even though I don't get out to see shows and performances often, I certainly enjoy it when the opportunity arises. In fact, funny story....I guess you could say I was so excited to see STOMP that I arrived a week early! I got my dates mixed up and we were over half-way to Fort Worth last Sunday when I double-checked the tickets. Oops....

I was so happy to share this experience with my son. He's almost 9 and has been to a small symphonic performance and a few local theater performances, but has never seen a major production like this. He was a bit grumpy about it at first because we wanted a million pictures (and most looked like this)....


...but was having a great time once it started. I asked what his favorite part was and he said there were too many to list. I have to agree. I was so happy to see we weren't the only parents with a child in the audience too. Though it is a two-hour program with no intermission, it's a perfect introduction to the Broadway musical scene. It's thrilling, entertaining, laid-back and downright fun. The production's take on music is so innovative...I've seen the DVDs many times in the classroom and I was still surprised by what I saw and heard. The talented cast blew me away! 

I wish I could put into words all the (new) lesson ideas going through my head at the moment based on body percussion and sound exploration but I'll have to add those as they develop into actual lessons. In the meantime, enjoy a great scene from the STOMP Live! DVD.


I'll be back in a day or two with some melodic centers that I just made (and I'm very excited to start with second grade) so check back for those. I also did some recordings of 3rd grade improvisations and I'll share that process this week too!

No comments :

Post a Comment