Wednesday, August 13, 2014

"Genie, you're free."

I have been seeing this quote on Twitter in the last several days since the news of Robin Williams' death was announced. Like most, I was stunned....shocked....upset. I grew up watching his movies and especially loved his embodiment of the Genie in Disney's Aladdin. He didn't just provide a voice to an animated character....he became the character. The film's title character may have been a boy looking for his princess, but the Genie stole the show.

Even before seeing the movie, I can remember getting the soundtrack and trying so hard to learn each and every song....his songs and parts were the most difficult. I tried to copy his inflections, his nuances....nope, couldn't do it. Not even close. He was one-of-a-kind. His funny, endearing vocal performance in this movie is what began my long love and deep appreciation for Disney movies and music.

RIP Robin Williams.


No comments :

Post a Comment